Takeaways from Sunday’s sermon on Ephesians 4:
1. Don’t give the devil a foothold in your family. When we are ugly to one another by means of anger, bitterness, malice, etc., we grieve the Spirit and invite the devil in.
2. A refusal to forgive is the way of the old man.
3. We are to keep the unity of the Spirit, no matter what denominational differences we have. Two members of the same church may be at one another’s throats, while two people from entirely different churches can get along great. The first is not preserving the unity, while the second is.
4. The not-yet kind of unity is the kind that we are all growing toward, and God will give us this unity when we eventually all come to “the unity of faith” or “the perfect man.” God doesn’t mind denominations, but He hates denominational arrogance. Humility preserves the unity and helps the body to grow.
5. When Paul gives ethical instructions (stop lying, etc.) he is speaking to the regenerate. The unregenerate cannot obey ethical instructions. If they do, it is like water on a hog, and soon the hog will return to the mud. When the regenerate hear ethical commands, it is food to the sheep. They respond and are nourished by the instruction.
9 thoughts on “Good Preaching”
That IS some good preaching!! It is wonderful to be in a Bible bassed church that will give good sound teaching.
God bless you,
Wow, that is just what I needed right now. Thank you so much. 🙂
Thank you nancy. I have been short of temper with week and needed a post like this. Christ’s love and grace is sufficient and always comes through your posts.
The sermon yesterday was just wonderful, wonderful. I’d advise anyone with the time to trot over to canon wired and watch it.
Nancy, Thanks for this post. Could you comment on the writings of Andrew Murray?
Amen. We are amazed to see what God is doing here in our city among different denominations. The Spirit is moving where it will, and our “boxes” will not get in His way.
Thank you, this is very helpful. I especially appreciated this part: “God doesn’t mind denominations, but He hates denominational arrogance. Humility preserves the unity and helps the body to grow.”
Like Ashley in the comment above, I appreciated the words about denominations. I recall as a girl being quite confused when I learned that Jesus wasn’t a Lutheran like me. Hmm…how could that possibly be, I wondered as a child.
I love this: “Humility preserves the unity and helps the body to grow.” Wise words to remember.
Number 5…does the regenerate never struggle with lying again? What do you mean by “it is food to the sheep.” I struggle with sin and not knowing whether I am regenerate or not… just curious at to what the word says about this…