What is discontent? A dissatisfaction with your circumstances, a restless desire for something more or something different. It takes the heart off God and fixes it on the trouble, discomposing the soul so that it cannot go forward steadily or cheerfully.
Here’s a little summary of what Watson and Burroughs would say about the evils of discontent.
1. It’s sinful, sordid, troublesome, wearying, and unworthy of a Christian.
2. It has evil companions like melancholy, sullenness, ingratitude, envy, jealousy, and covetousness.
3. It is folly. It takes away your comfort, making the body sick and weak.
4. It makes your crosses heavier and your grief unbearable.
5. It spins out your troubles longer.
6. It spreads to others like an infection.
7. It breeds quarrels.