Our ten-day forecast is cold and rain, rain, maybe some snow, and more rain. Though the farmers are doing a victory dance, it can still be hard on the rest of us, especially you moms who have to call off the springtime walks for the week. But even if it’s a downpour outside, that’s no reason to let it start raining inside too. So here are a few ideas to keep the rainy day out in the yard where it belongs.
1. Pick up the house. A tidy house is lots more fun to be in than a big mess. Plump up the pillows and shine up the coffee table. Put fresh sheets on the beds. And don’t forget to make sure you are looking cheery. Fix your hair and put on some earrings and a cute bright sweater. Now we’re talking.
2. Bring in some flowers. The grocery stores have plenty of selections. Get a bright colored flowering plant or a bunch of tulips (or daffodils) and put them on the table. Of course an Easter lily is the perfect choice right now.
3. And speaking of the table, put on a cheery runner or tablecloth. Look around in your linen closet and pull out something fresh, preferably bright yellow!
4. Fill the house with some cheery music.
5. Turn on the lights! No reason to fumble around in the dark. Change all the burnt-out light bulbs and surprise yourself with how bright your house can be!
6. Fill the house with some yummy smells. Make some bread or cinnamon rolls.
7. Put some bright throw pillows on the sofa and ditch those dingy tan colored things.
8. Make some play dough with the kids and get them busy with their hands. Easter is coming, so color some eggs!
9. Write some thank-you notes, call your mom to say hi, wrap a birthday gift.
10. Invite some friends over for soup. Shine the silver for the big Easter dinner.
Okay, so that’s probably more than ten. But you get the idea. Most importantly, in all these things, overflow in gratitude to God. Count your blessings. Rejoice!